Let’s Chat™: Building Early Oral Literacy
08 Apr 2024 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm
22 Apr 2024 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm
06 May 2024 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm
20 May 2024 1:30 pm to 3:00 pm
Cost per person:
- ECEC Educators
- Playgroup Facilitators
- Kindergarten Teachers
4 online sessions, 1.5 hrs each session
Early Childhood Educator Training
Oral language is one of the foundations for learning. It is essential for literacy learning and successful use of language is one critical component for children’s wellbeing. A significant amount of classroom-based learning is dependent on early oral literacy.
This workshop will support educators or playgroup facilitators to increase their ability to turn shared book reading and everyday routines into opportunities to build early literacy skills. Educators will also enhance their skills at using book reading to increase the communication skills of the children that they work with.
All seminars can contribute towards the Victorian Institute of Teaching’s professional development requirements for working with children with disabilities as part of the Special Needs Plan.
- Gain a clear understanding and knowledge of early oral literacy skills.
- Become familiar with current research on supporting oral literacy in young children.
- Be able to enhance the use of books to build early oral literacy skills
- Understand how to turn everyday routines into an opportunity to build language
- Become familiar with the content in the four parent modules.
- Enhance skills to deliver parent workshops on supporting their child’s development of early oral literacy.
- Become familiar with the core principles of family centred practice.
- Be confident in presenting the parent modules through real life practice.
This training offers educators a format to run the Let’s Chat groups with parents in their service. Evidence has shown that involving parents has the most significant impact on children’s’ learning outcomes.
Participants also receive a detailed facilitator’s manual and power point slides to use with the parent sessions.
Including Children with Speech and Language DifficultiesOnline Face-to-face
View infoTeacher Talk™ Series
Program A: Encouraging Language Development in Early Childhood Settings